Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chapter 4 - When Happiness and Sadness comes together



Yunho sat at the huge sofa of their apartment. Changmin and Junsu just came back from the hospital and they were taking a shower.

He lay lazily with a pillow on his head, eyes closed, mind wandering off somewhere. It feels good to have a break. Waking up later than usual, not needed to rush off to a photo shoot or rehearse for a performance, the life they all want? But along with that comes boredom. So, its either this or that.

Suddenly a cold breeze blew from the open window in the living hall. The curtains moved. With that comes a tingling feeling and then a shiver ran down his spine. It’s the same feeling again; the feeling he got when Yoochun faced with that car accident. And right when he wanted to shout out for Changmin and Junsu, the phone rang. He lay in shock. A few seconds later he heard a 2nd ring.

And someone else got to the phone before him.

###

Jaejoong was unconscious. He was bleeding, his head was hurt when that asshole broke the beer bottle against his head. What was he thinking? So with the help from a group of teenage boys, I managed to get him into the passenger seat of Jaejoong’s car and got him to the hospital.

As a fellow companion, I felt responsible for this man. I had to feel responsible. After all, I was the one who caused all this. Even though its not directly my fault, but if I wasnt here, he wouldn’t get hurt.

I looked into his pockets, found his phone. I need to call somebody he knows.

Nurses came running to bring him into the emergency room. All of them, squealing.

“Youngwoong Jaejoong! Omo!”

It seems they all know him, but why? How come?

The emergency door closed as the doctor and a few nurses were brought in to run diagnosis and checked up on Jaejoong. The box above the door that says EMERGENCY ROOM glowed with green light.

I walked up to the information counter and picked up the phone. It was midnight. Im not sure if anyone is awake at the moment to pick up the phone.

Jaejoong’s phone was in his pocket. I remembered placing it back right before i drove off.

I dialed his home number but no one answered at the first try. How did I get the phone number? I asked the nurse and she checked the details of the patient through the database. They can retrieve the data if the patient was once admitted here.

I tried again. This time, someone answered at the first ring.

“Hyung, is that you? Where are you? We’re all waiting for you! Its already late!! I thought you will be bringing back supper for us!! Hyung?!”

Another voice came up.

“Hyung, please get back safely. Don’t worry. If they’re too hungry I’ll call for take-outs. Just get home safely.”

Oh my gosh! They all think I’m Kim Jaejoong. Before I could inform that I wasn’t their hyung, another voice came up. My heart skipped a beat hearing this voice.

“Hyung, didn’t I tell you to call if you’re going to be late? I’m responsible for all of you, you know…Yoochun is already sick. Do I have to worry about you too??”

“Umm… Excuse me, I don’t know who you guys are but I’m not your hyung. Does your hyung happen to be Jaejoong?” I quickly cut him before he could say anything else.

“Yeoboseyo? Who are you? How did you get our number?”

“I’m Kim Andee, Jaejoong’s friend and I’m calling from Seoul Hospital. I’m calling to tell you that he has met with an accident. He is unconscious now.”

“What?! How did he? Where is he? How is he?” a list of questions trailed.

“Please come to the hospital. He is undergoing diagnosis in the emergency room right now. Please come quick. I do not know what else needs to be done here.”

“Hi Andee..is that your name? We will be there soon. And we can talk later. I’ll hang up the phone now. See you there.”

The person at the other end hung up the phone. I stood there motionless. The guys are coming, whoever they are. They must be Jaejoong’s mates.

Questions ran through my mind. Are they going to accuse me for injuring Jaejoong? Blame me for what happened tonight? How am I going to answer all of their questions?

I dragged myself to one of the seats outside the emergency room. Jaejoong’s blood was all over my white blouse. Facing down, I covered my face with Jaejoong’s jacket. I can smell his cologne. Without realising, i was crying. I was crying profusely. And soon, images of his happy face flashed through my mind.

We were talking at the beach right after our dinner at a nearby Korean restaurant. I was standing and wriggling my toes on the soft and silky sand. Suddenly I hear someone calling my name. And it was not Jaejoong's.

###

“Hyung! Drive faster!!” Junsu yelled from the passenger seat.

“Are you crazy? Do you want all of us to end up in the hospital too? The headlines of the newspaper tomorrow will show “ANOTHER 4 MEMBERS OF DONGBANGSHINKI ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL.” Do you want that?!!!” Yunho shouted on top of his lungs.

Changmin who sat at the rear seat of their red FORD EXPLORER, did not bother what his hyungs were doing. He looked at the busy roads outside as they passed traffic lights. Droplets of rain started to fall. God must have heard his silent cries. Soon, the rain got heavier then it showered. He kept praying that Jaejoong will be okay.

After 10 minutes, they reached the hospital. Junsu and Changmin ran under the heavy rain towards the emergency room, without caring if anyone recognised them.

Yunho quickly parked his car and walked fast. He was always the relaxed one, the collected one. But no one knows that his heart was beating very fast, a pace that would make his heart leap out and kill him.

###



A part of this chapter is credited to amyhailwa.

No comments: